Jakovich & Westdorp crowned Rottnest champions
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 7 May, 2017 - In arguably the best competition waves to grace any SUP surfing event in Australia, the 2017 Rottnest Classic concluded in clean and groomed 4-5 feet peaks on WA’s favourite holiday island.
The blue-ribbon Rottnest Classic men’s final saw 2016 State Champion Jakovich take on former AFL player Dave Muir (Nedlands, WA) in an all West Australian affair.
Jakovich was in rhythm with the ocean swells during the 30-minute final, using priority perfectly to stroke into the best waves on offer and unleash his impressive backhand repertoire. Jakovich scored a perfect 10-point ride and back it up with a 9.23 to post the highest combined total of the entire event.
“This was definitely the event I wanted to win,” said Jakovich. “To score the waves we’ve had over the past few days is like a dream come true for any surfer.”
Despite the best efforts of an inform Muir, he was left chasing a combination of scores to take the win.
Muir was humble in defeat and acknowledged his victor and all others who had travelled to Rottnest to compete.
“ Jako was on fire out there, what did he have a nine and a ten or something, even if I did find a wave I wouldn’t have come anywhere near him,” said Muir. “Hopefully we can get more of the best in the world here next year.”
Shakira Westdorp again proved her status as Australia’s best female SUP rider, with her third consecutive victory at the Rottnest Classic. Westdorp was in a league of her own scoring a 9.33 and 8.60 to finish on a two-wave combined total of 17.93 (from a possible 20).
Westdorp was graceful and powerful all at once, using a strong forehand and stylish backhand to dominant the Strickland Bay line-up.
“The waves keep me coming back each and every year,” said Westdorp. “This is my favourite event of the year, the waves, the people and Rottnest Island are all so amazing.”
Westdorp defeated 2016 State Champion Monica De Araujo (Scarborough, WA), Patrice Richardson (Cottesloe, WA) and Narelle Kuppers (Margaret River, WA).
The first event of the Stand Up Surf Shop WA SUP Titles also concluded today with Jake Jakovich backing up his Rottnest Classic victory with a win in the Open Men’s division.
Jakovich edged out his older brother Rick Jakovich (Gracetown, WA), Dave Muir (Nedlands, WA) and Wesley Fry (Bicton, WA).
In other results from the weekend, Narelle Kuppers (Margaret River, WA) won both the Open Women’s and Over-40 Women’s divisions. Rick Jakovich dominated the Over-40 Men’s division, while Tim Calder (Yallingup, WA) won the Over-50 men’s division.
This weekend sees the conclusion of the Rottnest Surf Festival, after back-to-back surfing events on the island.
“2017 has provided the best conditions for any events we’ve ever held on Rottnest Island,” said Surfing WA Events Manager Justin Majeks. “I’d like to congratulate all our winners and thank the support of the Island community for making this all possible.”
The Stand Up Surf Shop WA SUP Titles continue in Denmark at the end of the month where the WA State Champions and team for National Titles will be decided for 2017.
MEN'S ROTTNEST CLASSIC:
1. Jake Jakovich (Graetown, WA) – 19.23
2. Dave Muir (Nedlands, WA) – 9.66
Equal 3rd - Justin Holland (Kingscliff, NSW) & Rick Jakovich (Gracetown, WA)
Equal 5th – Wes Fry (Bicton, WA), Kai Bates (Ulladulla, NSW), Darron McNab (Karrinyup, WA) & Ian Vaz (Brazil).
WOMEN'S ROTTNEST CLASSIC:
1. Shakira Westdorp (Tugun, QLD) 17.93
2. Monica De Araujo (Scarborough, WA) 12.90
3. Patrice Richardson (Cottesloe, WA) 9.53
4. Narelle Kuppers (Margaret River, WA) 7.00
WA SUP TITLES OPEN MEN'S:
1. Jake Jakovich (Gracetown, WA) 17.63
2. Rick Jakovich (Gracetown, WA) 12.56
3. Dave Muir (Nedlands, WA) 15.00
4. Wesley Fry (Bicton, WA) 14.17
WA SUP TITLES OPEN WOMEN'S:
1. Narelle Kuppers (Margaret River, WA) 24.78
2. Monica De Araujo (Scarborough, WA) 17.77
3. Patrice Richardson (Cottesloe, WA) 16.65
4. Lara McCall (Margaret River, WA) 13.27
5. Jackie Nicholl (Karratha, WA) 11.41
*combined total from 2x finals
WA SUP TITLES OVER-40 MEN'S:
1. Rick Jakovich (Gracetown, WA) 14.67
2. Scott McKercher (Margaret River, WA) 15.34
3. Darron McNab (Karrinyup, WA) 12.70
4. Ian Ausden (Claremont, WA) 7.97
WA SUP TITLES OVER-40 WOMEN'S:
1. Narelle Kuppers (Margaret River, WA) 28.34
2. Lara McCall (Margaret River, WA) 14.83
3. Patrice Richardson (Cottesloe, WA) 12.70
*combined total from 2x finals
WA SUP TITLES OVER-50 MEN'S:
1. Tim Calder (Yallingup, WA) 11.06
2. Richard Wain (Yallingup, WA) 10.16
3. Chris Twomey (Duncriag, WA) 8.57
4. Gordon McKercher (O’Connor) 7.50